Yes, my blogging friends I am talking about when people question your belief in Santa Clause, The tooth fairy, Disney movies etc.
Recently it seems these topics have come up as conversation at birthday parties, FaceBook, and McDonalds.
Bill and I think that the choices we have made to let our girls have a little bit of fun in childhood are just fine. They aren't going to get traumatized because they believed in Santa or the tooth fairy. We both grew up believing in these make believe characters and we turned out just fine. We both still love the Lord & are also teaching our girls to love the Lord.
But after these discussions I always walk away feeling like we are bad parents or some how made the wrong choice. Especially when I hear "you guys are teaching them to believe in Santa?" With shock & horror they ask.
Why yes we are and if you don't like it, well then tough. And BTW please do not let your child tell my child Santa isn't real.
1 comment:
I know what you mean about other people thinking they can raise your own kids better. My mother has gotten on us this year for not shoving Santa Claus down Siri's throat. We have chosen to focus on the "true meaning" of Christmas and answer Santa Claus questions as they come up - truthfully. She is four and telling her not to have an imagination is cruel, but we do focus more on what Santa represents and who he really is. That way when she is eight and learning that Santa, tooth fairy, etc. aren't "real" she will hopefully believe us when we telling her that Jesus is still real. She is so much like me and I know how I struggled with what was real and not and how it was all handled.
Post a Comment