Friday, May 07, 2010

"Mama" vs "Mommy"

When we got pregnant I decided I didn't want to be called "mommy" - I am not exactly sure why, but I just wanted to be different. There is nothing wrong with being called Mommy but I really liked "mama". You don't hear it much and I think it just sounds so cute when a kid calls their mom "mama".

So when Ellia was born I just always referred to myself as "Mama" and not "Mommy". When she started talking she picked it up pretty quickly. Although, she did the switch-a-roo thing and would call me both "Mama" and "Mommy". But ohh how it made my day when she'd say "Mama" And Yes, I admit it, when she did say "Mommy" I would correct her and say "Mama"

As she grew the "Mama" slipped away and she began using "Mommmmmmmy" more and more. And I'm not kidding when I say she would stretch out that word as far as she could when she was calling for me. Why is that kid's do that?

Pretty soon Addie came along and I thought, here's my chance to get her to call me "Mama" and maybe Ellia will start doing it again too. Addie is our stubborn child and isn't going to be persuaded to do anything she doesn't want to do. And that means calling me "Mama".

Addie is so sweet and lately has started saying "Hi Mommy", "Hi Daddy", "Hi YaYa" "Hi_______" It so sweet and it especially melts my heart when she comes down the stairs in the morning, in her pj's with bed head and says "Hi Mommy". Or when for no reason she looks up from her pile of toys and says "Hi Mommy".

In that instant how can I can be upset that she is saying "Mommy" instead of "Mama"? The answer is, I can't. It's the sweetest thing in the world and I will take hearing "Mommy" any day.


What do your kids call you? Did you want them to call you something different?
Guess what? I still have Micah to work with on the "Mama" thing ;o)




2 comments:

Christabelle said...

Abigail sometimes calls me "Mama" but usually it's the "Mooooommmmyyy!" Benjamin, however, has begun calling me "Kiss-da-belle," especially if I don't answer the first time to "Mommy." Good luck with Micah!

Tiff said...

That's funny, I like "Mommy" and "Mama", but I don't like "Mom". I don't know why that is, but I'm hoping to get them to call me "Mama" when they grow out of "Mommy"!