Thursday, November 05, 2009

My child cannot read but she can.......

We tend to limit what the girls watch. Even though they are young, they will pick up on things. So we only watch two channels during the day. One of which airs the same commercial at least every hour. It's about teaching your child to read as early as age 9months.

I have to admit at first I was intrigued and thought it was a cool concept. Then after awhile the thoughts of "she doesn't read" and "my girls cannot do that" started to creep into my head. And Yes, sadly I contemplated asking for the system for Christmas.

But today, as the commercial played yet again I began thinking. Thinking of what my girls can do...........

Ellia can put together simple puzzles
She can point at pictures in her books and tell me what the objects are
If I ask her to go find something she can do it, like yesterday she wanted her cup, I told her it was in my bedroom. She went up the stairs & came back down saying " I find it mama"
She can draw me pretty pictures
While drawing all over her hands & arms too - she is multi-talented ;o)
She can sweetly rock her babies, feed them their bottles & put them into their baby cradle
She can sit on top of her sister & pin her down with the best of them


Addie can put the balls into her gumball machine & press the handle to make them come out
Addie can steal her sisters favorite softies
She can also walk around the ottoman & took 2 steps by herself last night!
Addie is multi talented too, she can grab food with one hand while holding a toddler size sippy cup in the other hand - this girl loves to eat & wont let anything get in her way.

So my girls may not be able to read but they can get fight, scream, cry and make each other laugh better than any children I know. And when that commercial airs again I am going to focus on what they can do.

Take that "can your child read" program!




1 comment:

Tiff said...

Why would anyone want their child to read that young? Not only would you have to continue to teach them, causing their Kindergarten teacher to try to teach them Algebra, but you would never be able to appreciate the "leaving the Christmas list out and knowing you will not get busted for being Santa" years or the "spelling things you don't want the child to hear" years!

It's rubbish, I tell you... :)