Happy 4yr 1st date Anniversary baby!!

Today is the 4yr anniversary of mine & Bill's first date. We met at a Starbucks and we shut the place down!! It was the best 5hrs I had on a date EVER! The conversation never came to a lull, and we laughed & laughed. It was soooo nice. I knew right then and there that Bill was different. He was a cool guy and I wanted to get to know him more. Which of course meant more dates! ;o)
And next week will be our 3yr Wedding anniversary. Wow, time fly's.
When we met that summer 4yrs ago the Tour de France was going on. Little did I know that this race would play a big role in our relationship and still does today. While we would chat on the phone or computer we would both watch the race. And then we watched the closing ceremony together, ya know after we'd met.
Wanna know what we did last night???? We watched the Tour. Even though Bill had checked online and knew what had happened he needed to see it happen on TV.
As I lay there last night I found myself really not understanding the Tour or anything about it. I've watched it for 4yrs and really never paid attention.....know what I mean? So last night I asked questions. Here are a few insights to the Tour that you might not know:
A. There are four jerseys that are awarded to riders EACH day:
- Yellow - Best overall rider's time for the day
- Green - Top sprinter - there are checkpoints along the way for sprints and the first 5 riders across the checkpoint get points.
- Poka Dot - Top climber or "King of the Mountain" - get points the same way as in sprinting
- White - Best newcomer or young rider with best time for the day
B. There are 21 stages to the tour and it takes almost a month to complete and more than 2,175 miles through mountains & towns.
C. The tour course is almost always the same and it is not completely all in France. Go figure. It winds through Italy, Monaco and Spain.
D. There are NO women riders. Why? Glad you asked cause I asked and do you know what Bill said? "Because these are professional riders Gina, and a woman could not keep up with them, they are riding 20+ mph up these mountains, do you really think a woman could keep up with that?" Well okay then.
E. Did you know each main rider, like Lance Armstrong, has his own team? And each team is comprised of who they think is the BEST rider. And the team is hired, yes they get paid to do this, to help the Main rider win the tour.
F. The main group of riders in the race is called the Peloton.
G. Each group/pack of riders following the leader are called "Chasers"
H. Did you know it's bad to ride alone? Seriously. You want your team mates to be with you in a chaser group so that they can help you "Attack" the leader and take over. And the more you have in your group the better chance you have. Teamwork in riding...who knew!
Anyways, it was fun talking to him about the tour. Getting his insight, watching CRAZY people dress up in cow costumes and run alongside the riders with flags on their backs, riders crashing out, and seeing the beautiful country of France.
And who knew that I might actually enjoy the Tour and the quality time I had with my husband? I love you Bill!
3 comments:
wow. never knew any of that about the Tour. Actually, I've never even watched it. Sounds entertaining to watch, actually. I love remembering the first dates...such great times. Ry and I actually reminisced a lot last night. Its so fun and always makes the night a good one!! :)
Yes, reminiscing is fun!!
Thank you GIna! We were just watching the Tour over the weekend and I was asking all sorts of questions trying to figure it out too. And now, I know all of this stuff.
Congrats on 4 years of dating too! :)
Post a Comment