Friday, May 15, 2009

Mother's Day gift / craft

I've been saving Addie's formula cans F-o-r-e-v-e-r! And I have sooo many under my crafting table because I just knew they'd come in handy. I knew there would be something I could make with them or use as storage - something. So they've been building up. I think at last count I had like 30 of them!

Then it came to me, why not use the can as a planter & stick a flower in it. And why not have Ellia decorate the can for Grandma, Auntie Missy, and our neighbor Tasha as Mother's Day gifts.

So a few days before Mother's Day I sat Ellia down with some pre-measured paper (ya, know I am anal and had to make sure I wasn't wasting her precious coloring "strokes"), gave her the markers & let her go at it. And boy did she ever. Let's just say it was a good thing they were water based markers!!!


Big girl coloring away & having so much fun


Can you see both her hands & how much marker is on them??


Finished project. Complete with a paper ladybug & "Happy Mother's Day" - I cut these out on my Cricket machine. Once we were done with the decorating we added the soil & the plants. That was a huge mess & I couldn't take pictures of Ellia helping me (Bill was working when we planted them). Let's just say she ate at least 3 spoonfuls of dirt! Yes, really she did.



Sorry Nana we can't send this in the mail to Florida. But we thought of you as we made them.

2 comments:

lifeunscripted said...

That is a really cute idea! I use soup cans for pencil holders (decorated of course) but never thought of that when we were using formula with Siri. Elisabeth still won't take bottles very well so no formula cans this time around, yet.

Jess :) said...

Those are super cute! I love them! I should try making those with my 2nd graders sometime. :)

Also, love the new hair cut!