Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Adilynn Birth Story - part 2

We started out for the hospital and after getting down the road a bit realized G & G didn't have a key to our car "if" something was to happen. So we turned around & dropped off the key with our neighbor who came over to watch Ellia till G & G arrived.

Then we were finally on our way to the hospital. Since it was 1:30am when we arrived the hospital doors were locked to Maternity ward. We were buzzed in and walked to the nurses station. After the obligatory paperwork they showed us to a triage room. Think ER the television show. Each bed is secluded by only drapes. Luckily no one was there and we had the whole room to ourselves. Our nurse was Jen. She turned out to be fabulously (is that a word?) funny. She put us at ease and made us laugh. All good things at that point. The contractions were coming pretty regularly 5 minutes apart.

Jen had to ask us some questions and do some more paperwork. During this process, she's at the computer typing, Bill's sitting in the chair and I am lying on the bed breathing through each contraction. Jen tells us she is a newlywed - married 19 days. Met online & moved across country to be with him. So of course it was an instant connection. We become fast friends the 3 of us. At one point she asks me "Any recent sex?" to which I reply "yeah on Sunday" and she says "Ahh, that's not recent sweety" and I replied back "it is for a 9 month pregnant lady" - we all laugh and it's time for the EXAM.

I tell her this Exam better be worth it. She does her thing - you know what I mean and says "Is 5 worth it?" to which I was like "what? - 5 what?" and she laughs "5 cm dear" - Bill and I exchange looks and he asks her what is the next step................."Call the Grandparents, you're having a baby today"

2 comments:

Julie D. said...

hilarious! Have a newlywed tell you what 'recent' is...just great. Girl, Sunday was recent!! You still had at least 4 days to get it in and count for twice a week!! :)

CulyQFun said...

I know, you're right. It was really funny. We all got a good laugh and she was surprised I was so quick with a comeback.