Saturday, March 12, 2011

"I didn't want to be a mother"

I have been pondering this post for about a week now. And since it's my blog I am going to do a Rant. Last week I watched the Today show and saw a woman who just walked away from her kids. "Along the way I had lost myself" and she wrote a book telling how/why she did it.

Rahna Reiko Rizzuto was on the Today show sharing about how she walked away from her family after 20years of marriage & two young children. Her reasoning?
"I had lost myself along the way" and "I realized I didn't really want to be a mother". Really??? I found myself saying outloud to the tv... "Then why did you have children?"

I watched the interview in utter amazement & then disgust. Because this woman I felt was glamorizing the fact that she left her children. She actually said things like "I am a much better mother now", "I pay more attention to them in that 5-6hr block of time because I am not on the computer, out with girlfriends" Really?? T"hen why did you have children?"

I have to wonder then why did you have kids? They were married for 15yrs before they had their 1st son. That tells me that most likely were lots of discussion into having kids. She says "motherhood wasn't what she thought it would be" - No S*%t sherlock, sorry!

Is motherhood what I thought it would be? Honestly, yes. That said there are days that I want to run & hide. But the good days & those special moments out weigh those bad ones. Would I walk away from my kids? Would I decide that I needed to find myself and in order to do that I needed to leave my kids? NO!

I think it boils down to this .............. selfishness. This woman is selfish. And that is really sad. Sad, for her children. When you get married & when you have children you become selfless. You give of yourself because you love those people. And I would never walk away from my children because I need to "find myself". However, I am known to go on scrapbooking weekends, pedicures, latte dates ect to get a little "Me" time.


This is a book I will NOT be buying that's for sure.

No comments: