Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cloth Diapering 101 - post #2

So today I am going to blog about the diapers I am making for Micah. His diapers aren't all made at this point. But between all the test one's I bought & my friend made he is in cloth diapers about half time. (this results in more washing than normal, but I am just so excited to have him in cloth that I am willing to do a load of diapers every day)

So I am making Micah diapers using a "Trimsy" pocket pattern. It is an average rise but fits skinnier in the legs and the snaps are a bit different. The snaps are located on the wings instead of the waistband like most other diapers.

Diapers are made out of waterproof "PUL" (Polyurethane Laminate) and is a soft, polyester knit fabric laminated with waterproof polyurethane on the back. Then the inside of the diaper is made with Suede cloth material, which wicks moisture away from baby's bottom.

We start the process by cutting out the pattern for each diaper.


All of the diapers cut out & ready for snapping. He will have blue, red, brown, green, and some cute giraffe print ones.

Then we start attaching the snaps to the PUL using a special set of "snapper" tools. Which is kinda of like a hole punch. First, you poke a hole with the very sharp poker tool. Then you poke the snap through the hole with the "snapper" tool. It is a bit awkward at the beginning but you get the hang of it. I messed up and snapped two diapers completely wrong and we had to throw them into the scrap bucket. Once the snaps are on the PUL they are very, very hard to remove. Trust me! I snapped 1 snap wrong & had to cut it off using toe nail clippers.





Some of the diaper covers with snaps on. The green ones are so cute, they have turtle snaps!



This picture does no justice to the cuteness of the turtle snaps



Next post I will show how you make the pocket for the insert & the sewing of the PUL & suede cloth together.




No comments: