So where are we??..........Oh, yes so doctor broke my water at 8:30 am. Now I should note that by this point I had pretty much decided I was going to go natural. No drugs. I'd made it to 7cm and was feeling okay. After my water was broken the contractions picked up pretty quickly in intensity, pain & frequency. At this point we had to say goodbye to Jen and our next nurse came on. Or rather our nursing "team" of Christine and Angela. They were great as well. We are pretty lucky to deliver our girl's at such a great hospital.
The great thing about going natural is you get to be in control. You get to decide what you are going to do to help labor. You get to make all the decisions and aren't trapped in a bed like you are when you have an epidural. At 9am I decided to try bouncing on an exercise ball. This is suppose to help in the gravity department with the widening of your cervix. I bounced and swayed for an hour!
Then I moved onto the counter where I laid with a pillow and did squats. Again with gravity and momentum thing hoping to speed things along. When Angela checked me at 10 am I was at 8 cm and still 90% effaced. I actually said "You've got to be kidding me" - but in all reality 1 cm in an hour was good. About this time G & G arrived at the hospital with Ellia. We wanted Ellia to be brought in after I was cleaned up to meet Adilynn. So Grandma slipped into the room & Grandpa watched Ellia in the hallway. Auntie Susan, Auntie Melissa and Grandma were all going to be there when Adilynn decided to make her debut.
About 10:30 I told Bill "I don't think I can do this any longer" and he said "Yes, you can baby, you're almost there". The contractions were coming about 2-3 minutes and they were STRONG & INTENSE. I say that in capital letters cause they really did hurt. I was managing but I was also getting tired. Contractions take a lot out of you. Bill said I was like in a different place, I was so focused, so in tune with my body, breathing and concentrating. I wasn't saying much just breathing. However, I think it was about this point that I did say "When this over I want an Outback steak dinner" to which Bill said "Baby, you finish this up and you can have whatever kinda of steak dinner you want". And then at another point I did say "Damn that Eve".***Warning*** potty talk to follow
At 10:40 I began to feel GIANT pressure in my rear - like you're going to take a big dump. It would not go away - which is the indication that you are at 10cm and ready to push. I began saying over and over "I have to poop, I have to poop, I'm going to poop". Christine checked me and said "You're at a 10 and completely effaced - were going to call the doctor". So Angela picks up the phone and calls - talks to someone as I breath through another contraction. Christine asks her if she talked to Dr. Cardwell. To which she says "No I talked to her secretary". Christine says "Call her back and tell her we need her now". At this point I am starting to freak out cause I really, really, really feel like I am going to poop on the table and I actually say "If the doctor doesn't get her soon I am going to poop all over this table". Just about this time the doctor comes rushing in & begins gloving up. This all takes place in about 7 minutes. I ask "can I push" and am told not yet. The doctor takes her place - at the head of the table (ha,ha) and tells me on the next contraction to push.
One push, two push, three pushes and at 10:57 am Adilynn Danese Detlor came zipping out. She literally came out very fast. She weighed in at 6lbs 10 oz and almost 19 inches long. Pretty good size for a preemie - which technically she is since she was born at 36 weeks.

Bill and Dr. Cardwell shortly after Adilynn's birth.
I need to say that as great as Adilynn's birth was Ellia's was equally as special and fun. I enjoyed both my daughters births!! And I have to give Kudos to my husband. He is the BEST coach EVER!!!! He helped me to stay focused, counted with me, breathed right along side me, rubbed my back - you name it he did it. And without him I wouldn't have been able to deliver Adilynn let alone go natural.
I need to say that as great as Adilynn's birth was Ellia's was equally as special and fun. I enjoyed both my daughters births!! And I have to give Kudos to my husband. He is the BEST coach EVER!!!! He helped me to stay focused, counted with me, breathed right along side me, rubbed my back - you name it he did it. And without him I wouldn't have been able to deliver Adilynn let alone go natural.
2 comments:
Way to go, Gina!
Congrats! That is amazing...Happy Birthday, Adilynn!
Post a Comment