Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Love Never Fails

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a sucker for old people. I think they are the cutest most adorable people in the world and I cannot wait to be a cute old, hat wearing lady.
So when I got this email today from my uncle about an old man I had to read it. And as I read it I was brought to tears. I dont know where he got it, but it read like this:


It was a busy morning, about 8:30 in the morning when a man in his 80's, arrived to have the stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9am.
I took his vitals and had him take a seat, know that it would be at least an hour before he would be seen. I saw him looking at his watch and decided since I wasn't busy with a patient that, I would evaluate his wound.
On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, and got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.
While taking care of his wound I asked him if he had another doctors appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.
I inquired about his wife's health. He told me she had been there for awhile and that she was a victim of Alzheimers Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.
I was surprised, and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she dosen't know who you are?"

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me but I still know who she is"

What AMAZING Love this man has for his wife!! Isn't this how the Lord is with us? Even when we are busy with our families, friends, housework and just plain life he still know's who we are and where our hearts are. This email brought tears to my eyes and two gentle reminders....

1. The Lord loves me no matter what and is always there for me
2. My husband is like this man and will be like him even in old age & I can always count on him

It also reminded me of 1 Cor 13: 4-8
"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
and the key here.......... LOVE NEVER FAILS

1 comment:

Julie D. said...

such a wonderful story. Thank you!