Tonight my blog is about the Seattle Mariner's fan appreciation nights. What has our sports world come to when we combine Knitting and an all American classic such as Baseball???
I ask you this....... do the two even remotely sound similar?? Well, someone within the Mariner's franchise in effort to draw more fans decided that the two go hand n hand.
Thats right you're reading right....tonight the game against Cleveland has been named "Stitch & Pitch" night at Safeco. They have reserved a special section just for the Knitters and their fans. They will even have special booths set up inside the stadium selling yarn and patterns.
No, offense to those who knit...but knit at a baseball game? Do you really have time to watch the game as you are knitting? And what if a fly ball comes in your direction? Combine the ball with your needles and for sure "someone will poke an eye out." Plus, its hard enough to pay attention to a baseball game normally but combine that with knitting. I just dont see how the two can go together. I know I am a huge sports fan and I am trying to push my own feelings & love for the game aside. But it just doesn't make any sense to me. Am I alone here?
This morning when I polled some co-workers about this very topic and how crazy it was I was met with some opposition. I was informed that knitting has become very popular and was told that "it's not your grandmothers hobby anymore". Did you know they have knitting clubs in Seattle? And even wilder is the fact that most of the members are College age girls. One of the coolest women I know (my pastors wife Shannon) has taken up this very hobby and loves it. So this cool/trendy new hobby is making its rounds.
But honestly - knitting at a baseball game? Come on????? Is this what our Mariners have sunk too to recruit new fans in the middle of a slump? Whats next? Scrapbookers night or better yet Stampers night? Even the sportcasters who call the game on the tv/radio got into the whole "Stich & Pitch" theme. When Miguel Olivo hit a homerun in the sixth inning they said "He really hit the stiches out of that ball" Come on?? Where do we say enough is enough? Quit messing with an all American past time & just ... "P L A Y... B A L L"
**Please note their are no harsh feelings against any knitters by the author of this blog**
2 comments:
Hey Gina!
Take comfort. . .football season is just around the corner!
Good Thinkin Cora!!! I knew as a fellow sports lover you might agree with me,right?
Chris - u are eggs act lee right. Our M's aren't doing so well right now.
Post a Comment