Why is it that all year we tell kids "dont play with fire you'll get burned" But once a year when the 4th comes around we hand them a sparkler or equivalent and say "go have fun - just be careful"
Isn't this giving our kids a double message??? One that says its okay on this one day and only because everyone else is doing it.
So then what else is okay on that one day a year??? Sure this double message seems small but where else will we let small double messages interfere? (this should be the subject of another blog...too long for this one)
Dont get me wrong I love fireworks and lighting them off just like the rest of my friends. And I love the reason we celebrate on the 4th. But it seems every year some child or some one being stupid is hurt, mamed, burned or killed by fireworks. Seems we should just pay a little more attention to safety and to the double messages we are sending to our kids.
Okay, deep breath......now I'm done with my vent.
Have a happy 4th everyone!! And be SAFE!
2 comments:
Gina, I really dislike fireworks. (Not the kind you see at the big shows, but all the ones you buy at the stands.) Larry (our dog) freaks out whenever he hears fireworks, and he usually runs off for several hours a day unless we keep him inside.
I missed talking with you today. Got sidetracked with someone else and you were gone! Maybe next week ... :)
Fireworks are fun. As kids we loved to watch them then when we got old enough to light them it was wonderful. My parents watched us closely when we had even a little sparkler. Just as I watch my kids.
Now that my kids are older we give them more free reign but we watch and coach them to keep them from harm's way. We certainly don't allow them to abuse the privilege.
Accidents happen. (God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.) Some accidents are preventable while others are simply just accidents.
If we celebrated Fork Day as a nation then there would be people in the ER with forks stuck in various places.
Post a Comment